About 51 degree-awarding institutions in Nigeria will not admit candidates who scored below 180 in the 2020 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) for any programme.
This is according to a document from the Joint Admissions Matriculation Examination (JAMB).
PREMIUM TIMES reported how JAMB announced 160 as the official (minimum) cut off mark for admission into Nigerian universities for the 2020/2021 academic session.
The decision was reached through a voting system but some universities said they will not go below 180 as their cut off mark.
Out of 51 institutions who decided not to go below 180, only one said its minimum cutoff mark is 210 while nine institutions said their minimum cut off mark is 200.
Also, one university benched its own minimum at 190 while 40 institutions pegged their minimum at 180.
Institutions accepting 180 and above
S/N – Name of Institution – Minimum
- PAN-ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY, AHMED ONIBUDO STREET, VICTORIA
ISLAND, LAGOS STATE 210
- COVENANT UNIVERSITY, CANAAN LAND, OTA, OGUN STATE 200
- OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY, ILE-IFE, OSUN STATE 200
- UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, IBADAN, OYO STATE 200
- SEMINARY OF ALL SAINTS, EKPOMA, EDO STATE. (AFFL TO UNIBEN,
- UNIVERSITY OF BENIN, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE 200
- BIGARD MEMORIAL SEMINARY, ENUGU. (AFFLIATED TO UNIVERSITY OF
IBADAN, OYO STATE) 200
- UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS, LAGOS STATE 200
- IMMANUEL COLLEGE OF THEOLOGY AND CHRISTIAN EDUC. IBADAN
(AFFL TO UNIV OF IBADAN) 200
- ST. PETER AND PAUL SEMINARY BODIJA, IBADAN (AFFL TO UNIV OF
IBADAN), OYO STATE 200
- LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY, OJO, LAGOS STATE 190
- NIGERIAN ARMY UNIVERSITY, BIU, BORNO STATE 180
- EKITI STATE UNIVERSITY, ADO-EKITI, EKITI STATE 180
- AFE BABALOLA UNIVERSITY, ADO-EKITI, EKITI STATE 180
- BAPTIST COLLEGE OF THEOLOGY, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE (AFFL TO
AMBROSE ALLI UNIV) 180
- ANCHOR UNIVERSITY, AYOBO, LAGOS STATE. 180
- PAMO UNIVERSITY OF MEDICAL SCIENCE, PORT HARCOURT, RIVERS
- REDEEMERS UNIVERSITY, OSUN STATE 180
- LANDMARK UNIVERSITY, OMU-ARAN, KWARA STATE 180
- ALEX EKWUEME FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, NDUFU-ALIKE, EBONYI STATE 180
- UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN, ILORIN, KWARA STATE 180
- UNIVERSITY OF JOS, JOS, PLATEAU STATE 180
S/N Name of Institution Minimum
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, LOKOJA, KOGI STATE 180
- UNIVERSITY OF ABUJA, ABUJA, FCT 180
- BAYERO UNIVERSITY, KANO, KANO STATE 180
- AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA, KADUNA STATE 180
- AUGUSTINE UNIVERSITY, ILARA, LAGOS, LAGOS STATE 180
- RIVERS STATE UNIVERSITY, PORT HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE 180
- SPIRITAN INT’L SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY, ATTAKWU, ENUGU (AFFL TO
UNIV OF NIG, NSUKKA) 180
- ADEKUNLE AJASIN UNIVERSITY, AKUNGBA-AKOKO, ONDO STATE 180
- IMO STATE UNIVERSITY, OWERRI, IMO STATE 180
- NIGERIAN POLICE ACADEMY, WUDIL, KANO STATE 180
- SPIRITAN SCHOOL OF PHILOSOPHY, ISSIENU, NSUKKA, (AFFL TO UNIV
OF NIG, NSUKKA) 180
- UNIVERSITY OF PORT-HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE 180
- LADOKE AKINTOLA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OGBOMOSO, OYO
- CLARETIAN INSTITUTE OF PHILOSOPHY, NEKEDE, IMO STATE (AFFL TO
IMO STATE UNIVERSITY) 180
- NIGERIAN DEFENCE ACADEMY, KADUNA, KADUNA STATE 180
- BENUE STATE UNIVERSITY, MAKURDI, BENUE STATE 180
- SEAT OF WISDOM SEMINARY, OWERRI, IMO STATE (AFFL TO IMO
STATE UNIVERSITY) 180
- ONDO STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, OKITIPUPA,
ONDO STATE 180
- OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY, AGO-IWOYE, OGUN STATE 180
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, ABEOKUTA, OGUN STATE 180
- BAYELSA MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, YENAGOA 180
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI, IMO STATE 180
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, AKURE, ONDO STATE 180
- UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA, ENUGU STATE 180
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF PETROLEUM RESOURCES, EFFURUN, DELTA
- ONDO STATE UNIVERSITY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES, LAJE ROAD, ONDO,
ONDO STATE 180
- ABUBAKAR TAFAWA BALEWA UNIVERSITY, BAUCHI, BAUCHI STATE 180
- UNIVERSITY OF UYO, AKWA IBOM STATE 180
- AMBROSE ALLI UNIVERSITY, EKPOMA, EDO STATE 180
There are 182-degree awarding institutions in Nigeria, 10 of these said their minimum cut off mark is 200 and above, 11 institutions said theirs will remain at 190 and above.
About 51 institutions said their cut off mark is benched at 180 and above. Also 64 institutions’ cut off mark will be from 170 and above; 112 institutions said their cut off mark is pegged at 160 and above while 69 said their cut off mark is benched at 160 and below.
No uniform minimum score
The spokesperson of JAMB, Fabian Benjamin, in a statement on Monday said there is “no uniform UTME minimum score for admission” as each institution determines and submits to JAMB its minimum UTME score “after having analysed the UTME performances of its applicants against its available quota.”
“There is a layer of misconceptions on what is generally described as uniform minimum national UTME score for admission into tertiary institutions in Nigeria. For long, many candidates and some members of the general public have come under erroneous impression that there is a minimum national UTME score, which they also refer to as cut off point,” he said.
According to him, the UTME score is not the sole determinant of placement of candidates into tertiary institutions.
“The undue attention to the so-called national minimum UTME score (UTME cut off point) is a major source of failure of many ill-informed candidates who assumed that they have finally attained the benchmark having achieved the so-called minimum national score or cut off point for admission,” he said.
He said decisions at the annual Policy Meeting on Admission does not reduce the minimum prescription of the institutions ” “except the few institutions whose submitted minimum UTME- scores fall below what the Policy Meeting considers as the minimum score acceptable.”
“UTME score is just one of the two or three scores that are generally added together to obtain the eventual aggregate score and ranking of the candidates,” he said.
The 2020 UTME examination started on March 14 and ended March 21 in its accredited Computer Based Test (CBT) centres nationwide.
A total number of 1,949,983 candidates wrote the 2020 UTME examination.